. : Author : .



Name::Catwmn
From::

View my complete profile
. : Contact Me : .

Email Me: Catwmn@hughes.net
On AIM: Pampchef5
On Yahoo: Mothertwn
On MSN: Mothertwn@hotmail.com
On Myspace: Catwmn's Myspace Page

My Myspace Blog: Catwmn's Myspace Blog

. : Stats : .













Thursday, September 14, 2006

Oh What A Night

Last night around 9pm my cat Prissy went into labor. She insisted on being on top of me through most of the first kitten's birth...almost like she was afraid of what was happening to her body or something...it's ok...it was fine with me...she got into her birthing basket right before the first kitten was born..a solid white kitten with no tail..so adorable..but the strange part is that when it was out the cat didn't do ANYTHING....she didn't go to try to break the sack, or do anything with it at all. Thank God I had read and printed all of the information I did online over the last couple of weeks to prepare for this event. I instantly knew what to do...I gently broke open the sack....wiped the kitten with a damp warm rag, to stimulate it's breathing reflex until it made it's first cry..then...after the placenta was delivered I tied off the cord, and clipped it, dried it some more and handed it over to mama cat.

Kittens two through four were delivered mostly the same exact way, I had to clean them and clip the cords before she would have anything to do with them.

Kitten number 5 was not so lucky...he was obviously larger than the other 4, and he was back legs first(breech I think) and by the time his entire hindquarters were out his bag had been busted for more than 10 minutes, not good..I pulled gently to try to help her but it was no use...so then I made a call to the local Animal Emergency Clinic to see what they thought I should do...naturally they wanted me to bring her in to see what was going on...

So I loaded her up in the van and hauled ass to the clinic...at 3:15 in the morning...They instantly told me that she was in grave danger....so they took her in the back and removed the kitten....it had not survived...then they did an Xray to see how many more there were and we discovered there were two more but the doppler that they used to check for heartbeats only found one so we knew one of the other kittens was already gone too.

Next they gave her a shot of OXYTOCIN...to stimulate her labor because she was not doing like she was supposed to..and within an hour she had delivered the other two kittens...which one of them didn't make it...and the other had to be cleaned before she would have anything to do with it...

We got home at 6:30 this morning...I still have not been to bed...I am sooo exhausted...

The vet told me that the mother and all of the kittens would have died if I had not stayed with her through her labor...she simply would have let them suffocate in their sacks after birth...so sad...but apparently common with first time mommies..If I had not taken her in to the vet when I did she would have ruptured her uterus trying to deliver that kitten..and would have bled to death internally and I would have been left with 4 kittens to bottlefeed...and a broken heart...Damn...I'm so glad I was here for her...

Anyways...I am slightly delirious right now due to lack of sleep...so I am going to post a pic of mom and babies and go on my merry way to rest for awhile...
Cat


Technorati :


Posted by Catwmn :: 11:01 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------------

. : Random : .

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Catwmn's Cranium!


powered by Bloglet

Today's Song..
Blanche
Superstition


Total Dollars Wasted By Bush On The Needless War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
Locations of visitors to this page

lunar phases

. : Blogroll : .







Blogroll Me!

. : Credits : .

Blogger
Template By Caz